Flash Flooding Predicted - 3"-6" Rain Wednesday - Thursday (Remnants of Ida)
As the header indicates, we are anticipating the heaviest rain is expected 8pm - 1am. Flooding is anticipated, especially in low-lying areas. There may also be severe thunderstorms (maybe tornados, hail, and extreme wind). If you normally clear drains around your property, now is the time to do it.
If you see flooding on highways "turn around, don't drown". You can learn more about expected weather impacts here: https://www.weather.gov/media/okx/0901_flash_flood_svrwx_am2.pdf
The Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow Fire Departments are hosting their annual 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony on September 11th at 10am in Patriots Park. As this year is the 20th anniversary, we expect a large turnout. In addition, the TaSH Farmers Market will also be ongoing at the same time.
We invite all from the community to join us in remembering those that were lost 20 years ago.
WI Boat Club Update
The Village of Tarrytown has received communications and has observed social media postings about keeping the boat club open where Washington Irving Boat Club is currently located. The Village shares the concerns with respect to treating the property in a way that will be open/accessible to the public, improve overall infrastructure at this site (particularly as it relates to flooding), and maximize the benefit to the Tarrytown community. To perform the update the Village has in mind, the Village publicly-issued a Request for Qualifications / Request for Interest, to invite experienced and motivated groups to present their team and show how they are the best for this property. Some particular points that we have to make and reinforce are as follows:
- The property is declared Village parkland.
- The Village has no intent to build housing or a hotel on this parkland.
- The Village is seeking more reasonable market rate rents that will provide revenue to the Village to offset the property tax bills for Tarrytown residents.
- Moving forward, the Village wants creative approaches to upgrade the property for park-based uses, including but not limited to:
- Park amenities
- Bike Rentals
- Kayak Rentals
- Other water-related and land-related recreational uses.
- Part of the Village’s and the State’s required approaches include a walkway along the edge of the property, along the Hudson River, that will be part of the Hudson RiverWalk. The long-term goal is connect the Tarrytown waterfront path(s) with the Shared Use Path on the bridge over the Hudson River.
- The Washington Irving Boat Club is welcome as a group to look at their operation and facilities, pull together a team with experience and qualifications, and submit a proposal to be considered by the Board.
- After the responses to the RFQ / RFI have been considered, the Village will issue a publicly noticed and advertised Request for Proposals, which will then be reviewed and considered, and acted upon by the Board of Trustees, in the best interest of the Tarrytown community.
You can review a full copy of the RFQ / RFI via this link. Responses are due 11AM September 22nd.
Board of Trustees Round Up
- The Main Street Dining Program was Extended to Include September 18, 25, and October 2.
- A public hearing was scheduled for September 20th to reduce the minimum time for submitting a permit application from 21 to 14 days for a film permit.
- The BRIDGENY Grant contract for the H-Bridge ReHab was extended.
- The Village is receiving a grant to purchase a sewer / jet vacuum truck to maintain our sewer and water systems. Thank you to Assemblyman Abinanti and the NYS Dormitory for this equipment.