Who may use the small claims court?

Any person over 18 years of age may bring an action for money in the small claims part of the court.

Even a non-resident of New York can bring a Small Claims Court action here. He cannot be required to place any security to reimburse the cost should the defendant be successful.

A minor may file a claim by having a parent or person in whose custody he/she resides go with him/her to make the claim and appear at trial.